Isn't it funny how a certain smell or sound can suddenly take you back to another place? Whether it takes you back to a moment you enjoyed or not, it is amazing how with a single whiff of a scent or a sound you can be transported back to a certain memory.
The other day the girls and I were out enjoying the morning sunshine and I was chatting about how I'd really love to own a goat, (Hey! It's not just me! Adam's right there with me!) and suddenly I heard it. Someone down the road a ways from us has chickens and a rooster. It's not an unfamiliar sound per Se...however, we do live in the city on a fairly well visited part of town, but immediately I was taken back to my grandparents old house out on Sewell Road...the one as kids we all LOVED! It was an older house and it had all kinds of great hiding spots inside and out and it sat on several acres. My Gramma made an old shed into a playhouse for all the grand kids...it had a great sun porch to sit on and hang out, it had a tire swing and lots of great old trees...honestly that place was GREAT! It's really too bad it's not in the family any more because it would be such a great place for the new kids coming into the family now to go hang out and for many more family gatherings to take place at....I miss it alot. Which seems silly to say but man I REALLY miss that place. It had a huge field to go run and play in and my Grampa had tractors we loved to play on...we used to do our Easter egg hunts there as a family. And next door the neighbors had chickens and, wait for it...a rooster. :) I distinctly remember there were two roosters at one time but I think they ended up getting rid of one because they were always fighting. Anyhoo, I digress! There were many times we'd stay there as kids or work our way upstairs to the top floor to one of the three bedrooms to rest and play and I would always hear the chickens walking around and the rooster crowing. Add to that the different birds singing in the many trees around the house, and the sunshine I always remember pouring into the many windows of the house and the peaceful restfulness of the place and fun that house held....and that one sound took me back to that house. To staying there and sleeping over and waking up to that rooster next door that would sometimes wander over. ...It was a good memory to go back to. :) ...And now I want chickens. :)
1 comment:
Another great job Heidi! And isn't it good to look back at the sights and sounds of childhood? Yes, it's such a shame that place couldn't have been kept in the family. Maybe someday you'll have a place that will give similar memories to your girls and the other family members. I don't know about a goat and I know I don't want chickens after being raised on a farm with 5,000 of them. But maybe one???
Love you!
Post a Comment