We have a beautiful friend that right now is dying of breast cancer...and now of tumors as a result of that cancer that have spread to her brain...her time is limited, this she knows. She's in pain, and in many ways she just wants to go home. She is this beautiful bright light of a person...one who's presence will indeed be missed in noticeable ways. She has a lightness about her and a spirit that glows without her having to say any words.
This has recently prompted discussion among some friends as to what we would do if we were placed in her position. How would we choose to fight? Or would we? Oddly enough I've had this random discussion with Adam. I've told him that obviously each circumstance has it's own path about it...and for me it would depend on how realistic the fight would be. Would fighting with medicines really help me? Or would it just prolong the inevitable? As a person who hates medicine and takes it only when absolutely necessary I lean towards saying I would rather take my last days and enjoy them with a clear mind and the ability to function as much as possible. I think I would say no to treatment based on the severity of the disease. If it were caught early and the chances of coming out on top were better than not I'd consider it for sure... It's always hard to say what you would or would not do unless you were met head on with the need to make that decision...and if it happened to me now at this point in my life, the decision to just let go peacefully would be harder given my young kiddos...but I know I would rather have them remember me as enjoying my last bit of time with them instead of in a bed in so much pain because of treatments I had chosen.
I will never pretend I understand or even like that some people are chosen to be taken from us at an earlier time than seems necessary...it doesn't make sense. But where she's going after her time here, there is no doubt! And so the hope of seeing her and other loved ones again one day drives us on...all I know is that if I should ever encounter this kind of hurdle in life, I can say with certainty that regardless of what choice I make, I know either way I am choosing life.

1 comment:
Oh dear Heidi! I can't hardly type for the tears. And you put it so beautifully and I support your feelings and feel exactly the same. I've said this for years. Because I'm so much older, it would be an easier decision but to choose quality over quantity is my decision. One thing I know for sure, God doesn't give a burden to one He cannot trust! If such a thing happens to me, I would pray that my attitude would be one of joy and praise and grace that would spill over to the lives of others I come in contact with. I've seen death over and over and held the hands of many who have died and also their families. Another thing I know for sure is that those who have accepted Jesus as their Savior have such assurance and the room is filled with praise and I've always come away feeling encouraged instead of sadness. That would be my prayer. I will pray for your friend. God knows and will do as He wills. We pray for acceptance of that in the lives of those she will leave behind.
Thanks you Heidi for your thoughts. You are an encouragement to me!
I love you!
Post a Comment