I don't make New Year's resolutions. I used to...but then as I got older I realized that any resolution needs to be a constant choice I make every day of the year. There's always the old standby resolutions, losing weight or being healthier...that's a choice I've decided to make every day I wake up. Or getting organized...that one makes me laugh because while getting organized is nice and can help you continue to be organized, organization itself is a constant and daily thing. I cannot tell you how many times I have organized our hair do-dad drawer or the utensil drawer or the pots and pans cupboard etc...only to have to do it again months later. Organization is constant work to STAY there. I began to view New Year's a little like Valentine's Day. Why are we making promises once a year to ourselves, like we choose one day a year to tell certain people that we love them?
But then a couple days ago one of my "quirks" was exposed and I got a pretty good laugh out of it. My husband has been a darling and for almost 9 years has said nothing about this habit of mine and I have gone along thinking maybe he just didn't notice. Only he has noticed. For the almost 9 years we've been married (and I'm sure this habit goes waaay further back) I have had a habit of buying a backup shampoo or conditioner or toothpaste or...name the beauty product so that we have it in place when the thing that is almost out completely runs out. I'm sure you're thinking at this point that that doesn't sound bad! It sounds smart...well, the thing is I buy it...and then I get ridiculously excited about using the NEW product...and so I start in on that one before the old one is gone. I'm a nerd. I get excited and distracted from the current product. Which sometimes is just simply annoying! I mean, for example, I know that the ONLY toothpaste I really like is the Arm and Hammer backing soda toothpaste. It's the only one I like the taste of, the only one I feel like gets my mouth clean, and yet when I'm standing in the toothpaste aisle I can't help but think, "But what if this new toothpaste over here is better or my next favorite!?" And so I purchase it...only to hate it and buy the one I do love a week later and start using that. I do that with shampoo...body wash...
And I thought it was going unnoticed until the other morning I woke up and found the toothpaste I love that I had recently purchased so I no longer had to use the other two tubes in the drawer that I hated, was missing. Now, there was only one explanation, because as I looked around it hadn't been put up on a shelf or out in plain view anywhere...it was missing. And it became clear to me that my husband had hidden it from me! And I couldn't believe it! After some searching I found it in the very back of a drawer tucked behind some things. Well! "Just what does he think he's doing?" I thought! Like I wasn't going to find it!
Later that evening the toothpaste came up. "I see you found the toothpaste," my husband commented drily. Which launched us into a hilarious discussion about my habit that my adorable husband has in fact noticed for going on 9 years now and has chosen to say nothing about simply because he is amazing and didn't think it mattered. Turns out it's been driving him crazy though. :D He continued to explain the amount of times he's gotten into the shower and knocked bottles of three or so different shampoos off the shelf in turning around or going to use the one that's been in there the longest noticing that another one has taken a place next to it...or noticing that I continue to buy toothpaste he knows I won't like...and then replacing it with the one I do.
Well...I got a good chuckle out of it, mostly because I couldn't believe he has noticed this habit for so long and kept mum about it! But also because he was very gracious and comical about it. :) So I am deciding that a resolution is in fact in order for me this year. I believe I need to resolve to actually finish a product before opening a new one even if I don't love the previous one, and more than that I need to really just know what I love and understand that if I really believe in how much I like a certain thing...it's unlikely something is going to be so fabulous it will replace how much I love the previous brand etc....Trust my instincts shall we say. And additional kuddos to my hubs for allowing me to be so weird for so long. :) You really make my life there Love.
1 comment:
Loved it Heidi! What a guy Adam is! I can't imagine my guy being that quiet and not saying anything but then I kind of have this OCD thing that I have to use every last drop or bit of everything before the new one is opened. I guess that's just as bad. Kudos to you and Adam for your loving, hilarious relationship! We love you!
Post a Comment