One of the things Adam and I did not know about this house before we moved in was that while the baseball fields across the street host many a soccer and baseball game as well as a carnival and various other events...it also is the landing spot for Life Flight. So if any major accidents happen in this area sirens wail and close off streets, and then you hear the helicopter.
Every single time this happens my heart sinks. I don't even have to be looking to know what's going on. If I hear a helicopter lingering around more than a minute I know something has happened.
Sometimes we find out what's happened and sometimes we have no idea who is being lifted out to a Portland hospital, but every time my heart is so sad for whoever is being flown away...because it means it's incredibly serious.
The first time it happened I suggested to the girls we sit and pray for whoever it was being taken away...and that has continued.
During a particularly bad incident involving a woman just down the street from us Hannah turns to me and says, "We need to pray for her Mom. Pray that she'll be OK." And so we did. We sat outside as they were loading this woman onto the helicopter and we prayed for all the doctors and nurses that would touch her and for peace and that God would take the fear away. And now every time a helicopter lands here (which is FAR too often, especially lately) either Abby or Hannah immediately mention that we should sit and pray for the individual. This makes my heart glad. They are learning to pray for even those we do not know directly. They are learning that God cares for all of us, that we all have value.
Usually Hannah asks if I've found out how the person is doing. She's always so concerned this one who's little heart cares so much for people. I'm really hoping she doesn't ask about the one from the other day because it turns out it was a 1 year old that had been hit by a car just down the street from us...and he didn't make it.
Life Flight has come to mean a little more to Hannah as well because a couple months ago we had a friend that had to be Life Flighted from a very bad car accident and we wonder and hope that someone who drove by or was around at the time saw that someone was being life flighted and stopped and breathed a prayer for whoever it was being lifted. I am so thankful for these beautiful girls who have a heart and so much love for others. And as long as we live here we will be in prayer over whoever that helicopter takes away.
No comments:
Post a Comment